Jacob and Mary Bassett purchased the Howard Ranch from Chis
Tegerman. In 1871, they opened
The Bassett's House Resort high in
the Sierras (elevation 5400 ft) where Howard Creek joins the Yuba
River. Since then, Bassett's has been a stage stop, hotel, telegraph
station, logging camp, saw mill, and gas station. It has been a haven for
sheep herders, cattleman, loggers, miners and others working in the
mountains. Today Bassett's still serves the mountain workers but also
serves the travelers coming to the area to enjoy the Sierras at their
best. Wild streams, dozens of lakes, mountain peaks, and thousands of
acres of forest bring people back year after year, generation after
generation. It is a true all-season recreation area, from  warm summer
days to the snow covered winters.

The business at Bassetts has been primarily in three generations of
buildings, all located in the same basic area where Howard Creek joins
the Yuba river, in Sierra county, California. The original buildings were
erected in the late 1800's (pictured above).  Around 1930, the 2 story
structure below becomes a part of Bassett's Station as an inn. In the
early 1960's, as Highway 49 was expanded and Gold Lake Road was
extended, these buildings were removed  to provide highway right of
way. The business was then relocated just to the north, to the current
building site.
Today's Bassett's Station Store and Café
Bassett's Station History
Sequence of Owners

William G. Hancock
Chris Tegerman (also known as Howard Ranch)
Jacob &  Mary Bassett  (Business starts -1871)
Sam Lusk
Various unnamed Bassett Children
Robert & Matti Loudon
John Bassett
Mr. & Mrs. Reed
Widowed Mrs. Reed married Edward Hinzie
Arthor & Erma Doss  (1940’s)
Harold L. & Edna M. Greene

In 1960 the property was split and subdivided

Leland B. & Nina M. Winters (1960’s)

In 1963 the current location opens for business

Wayne & Jackie Kelly (1960’s)
Gene & Joane Adams
Lee & Joyce Dougherty  (1986)
Susan Sherman (2002)
Michael & Carol Williams (2004)